Saturday, October 24, 2009

Holy Crap

Well in lab on Wednesday, our class did not get to watch the Milo project so I decided to check it out on my own. I cannot believe the Project Natal Milo. The fact that they can make a computer game character so realistic is beyond my belief. I found it amazing that Milo was able to sense the tones in her voice as well as have a serious conversation with her. Also, I really think the realistic ability of the character and game itself are just insane. The fact that she could see her reflection in the water and then make it seem like she was playing in the water by adding in the ripples was just crazy. As well as her drawing the fish and then putting it up to the sensor and him looking like she had given him the paper and he could tell what it looked like as well as the colors she used, was just crazy. Things are becoming so much more realistic that in time I feel like we will have a very hard time deciphering what it real and what has been man made. While I feel this is a big step in scientific terms I do think this could have some drawbacks as well. People seclude themselves now because they are just playing their games by themselves. I think something like this could really make people have a false sense of connection with a game and could cause people to become more antisocial. While this project has its own scientific merits, I feel that it will cause us to once again rely more on technology as a way to socialize rather than just going out and meeting friends in real life. I think we need to be careful with this kind of idea and technology. Eventually we could do nothing but socialize by technology and I feel that we should relax a little bit on ideas like that. We still need to make sure we can leave our house to communicate and see others instead of just secluding ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment